Easter Fire Destroys Spruce Cape Home

Jay Barrett/KMXT

A fire Sunday evening destroyed the home of a Kodiak couple on Spruce Cape. Bayside Fire Chief Bob Himes said both his department and the Kodiak Fire Department responded shortly before 6 p.m. to 2483 Spruce Cape Road and found a mobile home fully engulfed, with flames coming out of all the windows and doors.

He said the occupants, Dominick Oberle and Nicole McMorrow, escaped unharmed, after seeing smoke and flames coming from the rear bedroom of the home. Himes says except for a safe with their important papers, the couple lost all of their belongings.

The Kodiak office of the Red Cross has put Oberle and McMorrow in temporary housing and has provided them with extra clothing. Anyone who can help the couple should contact the Red Cross at 486-4040.

Himes said the fire was endangering other structures in the Spruce Court Mobile Home Park, and initial fire-fighting efforts concentrated on keeping them from catching fire. He said they were then able to knock down the fire enough so that firefighters could enter the trailer and extinguish the flames. He said it took a little less than an hour to put the fire out.

Damage to the building and its contents is estimated to be in excess of 150-thousand dollars.

Himes says the fire is believed to have started in the electrical panel. The occupants told him that they had been having electrical problems. The trailer was built with aluminum wiring, which Himes says has been associated with other mobile home fires in the past.

Check Also

Midday Report – February 21, 2024

On today’s Midday Report with host Brian Venua: Kodiak scientists dissected and studied a Cuvier’s …

%d bloggers like this: