The 17-year-old boy suspected of being behind a bomb threat that forced the evacuation of Kodiak High School will face criminal charges. Kodiak Police Chief T.C. Kamai said yesterday that the juvenile faces one count each of terroristic threatening and destruction of evidence, both class C felonies.
District officials received the threat through the internet last Tuesday. About 700 students were evacuated to the nearby middle school and the campus and nearby borough offices were locked down as city police and state troopers swept the buildings. By 11:30 a.m. the threat was declared unfounded and students returned to class.
District officials traced the message to a computer on campus leading them to their suspect. Because of the boy’s age his case has been referred to the state Division of Juvenile Justice, Kamai said.
School district officials aren’t saying whether the student will be expelled. Principal Bill Watkins said in a statement that the matter was confidential but that the district was following procedures designed to ensure the safety of students and staff.
Police had earlier said that the charge of terroristic threatening can fetch a maximum fine of $50,000 and up to five years imprisonment.