Smell of Boiler Backfire Greets KHS Students

Jay Barrett/KMXT
When Kodiak High School students arrived at school this (Wednesday) morning, they were welcomed by the acrid smell of soot. According to an announcement by the school district central office, a boiler backfired before classes and the smell was picked up by the building’s air handlers and piped throughout the building.
Maintenance personnel replaced the air filters and tried to ventilate the building as best they could before student showed up, though the smell lingered.
Tests done by the maintenance department to measure the carbon monoxide levels in the school showed they were within safe levels, and was backed up with an additional test conducted by the Kodiak Fire Department.
Classes are being held, and school officials posted that they are following all possible safety procedures.

Check Also

Full cleanup of Burma Road and other Kodiak Island’s former military sites is still years away

Kodiak Island, like many places in Alaska, has dozens of historic military installations in need …

%d bloggers like this: