The Kodiak Safeway store was closed for several hours Sunday due to a fire in the bakery. Store Manager Mike Murray said in a post to Friends of Kodiak that the fire was limited to the smoke stack of one of the store’s two baking ovens.
The Kodiak Fire Department responded and evacuated the store while police kept cars away. Murray said closing the store at the time was the right thing to do for everyone’s safety.
He said the firefighters inspected the kitchen from the oven to the roof and found no damage outside the smokestack.
Murray said the store was back to normal by early evening.
Chimney Fire Causes Brief Safeway Evacuation, Closing