Kodiak Fire Department responds to a fire on Rezanof Sunday night. Jarred Griffin photo
A family of three is safe after their home on 1320 East Rezanof Drive caught fire around 10 o’clock last night. Acting Kodiak Fire Chief Jim Mullican said the two adults, child and their dog were not even aware their home was ablaze when the 11 firefighters responded. The 911 call reporting the fire was made by a neighbor. There were no injuries.
Mullican says the fire was visible on the roof and was licking the into nearby tree branches when the first firefighters arrived. He said damage was largely contained to the chimney and roof, with only minor damage inside the home. He estimates the damages at $15,000.
Rezanof Drive was closed for several hours at 13th Avenue to allow firefighters to put out the blaze and clean up. It was reopened at about 1 a.m.
In a release, Mullican wanted to remind the public to check your smoke alarms and to replace the batteries twice a year.