Small Generator Fouls Indoor Air with Carbon Monoxide

Jay Barrett/KMXT

Yesterday afternoon just before 1 p.m. Kodiak Fire Department personnel ere called to a home at 1215 Selief Lane on reports of engine exhaust coming from a home. Two firefighters with air tanks entered the home to find it had toxic levels of carbon monoxide.

A resident, who Acting Fire Chief Jim Mullican didn’t identify in his release, was found unconscious in a second floor bedroom and carried outside for transport to Providence Kodiak Island Medical Center. Their current condition was not reported.

Meanwhile, firefighters ventilated the home with fans and clearing the air. The source of the carbon monoxide was believed to be from a small gasoline-powered generator.

Mullican said the incident is a good reminder to the public to check the carbon monoxide alarm in your home and to change the batteries twice a year.

Check Also

PHS aquaculture students release salmon fry into City Creek, about two miles outside of Petersburg. (Photo by Shelby Herbert/KFSK)

Alaska Fisheries Report 30 November 2023

This week on the Alaska Fisheries Report with Terry Haines: KNBA’s Rhonda McBride talks to …

%d bloggers like this: